Board Logo
« Critical Analysis of Research of Alien Abduction »

Welcome Guest. Please Login or Register.
May 23rd, 2017, 09:48am


Visit the UFO Casebook Web Site

*Totally FREE 24/7 Access *Your Nickname and Avatar *Private Messages

*Join today and be a part of one of the largest UFO sites on the Net.


« Previous Topic | Next Topic »
Pages: 1 ... 26 27 28 29 30  ...  33 Notify Send Topic Print
 veryhotthread  Author  Topic: Critical Analysis of Research of Alien Abduction  (Read 40407 times)
purr
Global Moderator
ImageImageImageImageImage


member is offline

Avatar

..you talkin' to me...YOU TALKIN' TO ME..??!


PM

Gender: Female
Posts: 4772
xx Re: Critical Analysis of Research of Alien Abducti
« Reply #405 on: Jun 9th, 2015, 05:47am »

on Jun 7th, 2015, 2:24pm, ZETAR wrote:
PURR,

TO WIT:

"It would (almost) seem that NOT having been abducted makes one more likely to be in need of a Psychiatrist!"

THAT OUGHT TO KEEP EM PEEKIN...

User Image

SHALOM...Z


You have impeccable taste in gifs, ZETAR! laugh Of course I'm attempting to get Jjflash to take a peek (and even look seriously) into the paradox of abductees reporting the most vivid, life changing and paradigm shifting alien encounters, yet not having been found to be more, rather: LESS disordered than the general population (by John Mack's research).

What CAUSES these experiences, if not insanity?


purr
« Last Edit: Jun 9th, 2015, 05:53am by purr » User IP Logged

Let us be sure that those who come after will say of us in our time, that in our time we did everything that could be done. We finished the race; we kept them free; we kept the faith.

-RONALD REAGAN
ZETAR
Mod Director
Global Moderator
ImageImageImageImageImage


member is offline

Avatar

GREAT SPIRITS ALWAYS ENCOUNTER THE MOST VIOLENT OPPOSITION FROM MEDIOCRE MINDS E=MC2


PM

Gender: Male
Posts: 7957
xx Re: Critical Analysis of Research of Alien Abducti
« Reply #406 on: Jun 9th, 2015, 08:55am »

PURR,

YOUR TACTICAL APPROACH ~ DEMANDS ADMIRATION grin

TO WIT:

"What CAUSES these experiences"

I'M GUESSING THAT YOU MUST EXPOUND UPON >>> experiences <<< cool

User Image

ONE COULD RESEARCH THE ABOVE AND THOSE OF THE ILK LIKE EINISTEN ~ TESLA ~ WELL...SHANT I LIST THOSE INSPIRATIONAL MINDS WHOM...REACHED BEYOND INTO THAT ETHER (EINSTEIN-ROSEN BRIDGE)...NO DOUBT THERE ARE THOSE SINGING THAT LYRIC TO THAT LED ZEPPLIN SONG...WHERE'S THAT CONFOUNDED BRIDGE ~ cool ~ I'M GUESSING LAY MINDS OF SUCH PERIODS DEALING WITH THE AFOREMENTIONED TRAILBLAZERS...WERE QUESTIONING THE SAME THING...

" What CAUSES these experiences"

User Image

STIRRING YOURS...

SHALOM...Z

« Last Edit: Jun 9th, 2015, 08:56am by ZETAR » User IP Logged

GREAT SPIRITS ALWAYS ENCOUNTER THE MOST VIOLENT OPPOSITION FROM MEDIOCRE MINDS E=MC2
jjflash
Gold Member
ImageImageImageImageImage


member is offline

Avatar




Homepage PM


Posts: 1476
xx Re: Critical Analysis of Research of Alien Abducti
« Reply #407 on: Jun 9th, 2015, 09:37am »

on Jun 9th, 2015, 05:47am, purr wrote:
Of course I'm attempting to get Jjflash to take a peek (and even look seriously) into the paradox of abductees reporting the most vivid, life changing and paradigm shifting alien encounters, yet not having been found to be more, rather: LESS disordered than the general population (by John Mack's research).


I think it depends on specifically who you're talking about, purr. To discuss "abductees" in general can become a bit problematic, the more we get down to details.

A few points, please:

- Some work published by Dr. CA Morgan and recently posted in this thread could be interpreted to question Dr. Mack's approach. Specifically, Morgan very much warned of the inherent dangers to clinicians advocating the subjective interpretations of the patients as compared to providing treatment, the latter of which was within the scope of professional training and the former was subjective.

- To better understand how and why people will report vivid experiences in which the content is questionable (and sometimes entirely false), I invite review of the work of Dr. Elizabeth Loftus, among others. It is not speculative, but demonstrated fact through years of clinical trials and research.

- Such circumstances as addressed by Morgan and Loftus do not necessarily account for all reported abductions, but it definitely accounts for some, if not a very high percentage. In my opinion, much less easily explainable experiences would involve less sensational claims, such as indoor light phenomena, orbs, multiple witness occurrences of such indoor light phenomena and so on, more what we might call "high strangeness" than alien doctors from the stars. There are lots of reasons people interpret themselves to see the things they see, including seeing unusual phenomena, and I think we'd need to talk more specifics to make sure we're on the same page when discussing such reports.

on Jun 9th, 2015, 05:47am, purr wrote:
What CAUSES these experiences, if not insanity?


Lots of things. Trauma would be a major cause. I'd highly recommend learning more about it and its symptoms if your question is sincere.

In my estimation, the leading cause of the spike in reported abductions during the 1990's was emotional trauma combined with an overeager UFO community that quickly encouraged people to consider themselves alien abductees when they reported fragmented memories and such. That, along with extremely questionable investigative tactics, led to a great deal of rather dubious reports.

Again, one would need to understand the work of Loftus and colleagues (the significance of how questions are asked effects what the individual believes they remember) to more fully grasp all the implications. That doesn't necessarily account for all reports, but there is no doubt that a high percentage of those reports is very suspect, and the UFO community's failure to educate itself about the psych paradigms and the effects of trauma only continues to add to the misunderstandings.
User IP Logged

The UFO Trail
jjflash
Gold Member
ImageImageImageImageImage


member is offline

Avatar




Homepage PM


Posts: 1476
xx Re: Critical Analysis of Research of Alien Abducti
« Reply #408 on: Jun 9th, 2015, 10:33am »

on Jun 9th, 2015, 10:12am, ZETAR wrote:
JACK,

TO WIT:

" (the significance of how questions are asked effects what the individual believes they remember) to more fully grasp all the implications. That doesn't necessarily account for all reports, but there is no doubt that a high percentage of those reports is very suspect, and the UFO community's failure to educate itself about the psych paradigms and the effects of trauma only continues to add to the misunderstandings."

WELL SAID SIR!


Thanks for noticing, sir. Perhaps it would be helpful if I reiterated my stance on the topic, or at least I would like to do so.

I'm not saying there are no reports of alleged alien abductions or UFOs that are of potential interest. There may be some intriguing events surrounding some of them, and perhaps some of it involves currently unexplained phenomena. I don't know.

When I started this thread - what has now been quite some time ago - I tried to explain that my interest lies in the exploitation and mistreatment of individuals who get mixed up with the UFO community. As drwu23 and some others have noted, I also took an interest in the intelligence community for similar reasons.

That is not to suggest there is necessarily nothing else of interest to be found in any of this stuff. The paranormal just doesn't happen to currently be on my list of extremely interesting topics, I have other specific areas of interest, and the subject matter is simply too wide and diverse to try to focus upon all of it at the same time.

I think it is very important to apply functional filters to the data, and understanding the roles of poor investigators and the intel community become relevant and interesting to me. Hopefully some others will find my contributions of interest.
User IP Logged

The UFO Trail
drwu23
Gold Member
ImageImageImageImageImage


member is offline

Avatar




PM

Gender: Male
Posts: 6591
xx Re: Critical Analysis of Research of Alien Abducti
« Reply #409 on: Jun 9th, 2015, 2:57pm »

on Jun 9th, 2015, 05:47am, purr wrote:
.....I'm attempting to get Jjflash to take a peek (and even look seriously) into the paradox of abductees reporting the most vivid, life changing and paradigm shifting alien encounters, yet not having been found to be more, rather: LESS disordered than the general population (by John Mack's research).

What CAUSES these experiences, if not insanity?


purr


One limited study (Mack's work..) does not prove anything and of course needs to be replicated for any validity. Have any other research psychiatrists confirmed his work? Could it be that Mack was biased?
He was badly fooled during the course of his work with 'abductees' by a lady who pretended to be one.
Are 'abductees' indeed more well adjusted than non abductees? No offense but that sounds ridiculous on the face of it and not very scientific at all. But then psychology in general is a soft science.

I don't think we can make any valid conclusions from Dr Mack's work .


I mentioned these before but 2 books that pertain to this whole paranormal area ,experiencers, and psychology/sociology are:
Lure of the Edge by Brenda Denzler
The Trickster by George Hansen


« Last Edit: Jun 9th, 2015, 3:18pm by drwu23 » User IP Logged

purr
Global Moderator
ImageImageImageImageImage


member is offline

Avatar

..you talkin' to me...YOU TALKIN' TO ME..??!


PM

Gender: Female
Posts: 4772
xx Re: Critical Analysis of Research of Alien Abducti
« Reply #410 on: Jun 9th, 2015, 5:37pm »

on Jun 9th, 2015, 2:57pm, drwu23 wrote:


One limited study (Mack's work..) does not prove anything and of course needs to be replicated for any validity. Have any other research psychiatrists confirmed his work? Could it be that Mack was biased?
He was badly fooled during the course of his work with 'abductees' by a lady who pretended to be one.
Are 'abductees' indeed more well adjusted than non abductees? No offense but that sounds ridiculous on the face of it and not very scientific at all. But then psychology in general is a soft science.

I don't think we can make any valid conclusions from Dr Mack's work .


I mentioned these before but 2 books that pertain to this whole paranormal area ,experiencers, and psychology/sociology are:
Lure of the Edge by Brenda Denzler
The Trickster by George Hansen




Well, nobody said anything about 'proving' anything, Wu. Ten years of abductee research by a Harvard Psychiatrist does constitute a compelling body of work imho.

Since your good self (in fairness with Jj leading the way in this forum) has been advocating how excellent an idea it is for alleged abduction experiencers to get themselves evaluated by accredited mental health professionals (to weed out disordered folk, while offering high standard counselling to authentic abductees), I'm rather surprised that you appear dismissive to Mack's long term group study doing precisely that, WHICH FOUND THEY WERE IN SLIGHTLY ABOVE AVERAGE MENTAL SHAPE.

Haven't a clue what it proves, but it stands to reason it means sumtin. These people believe they met aliens/ETs, communicated, interacted with them, felt this deeply and this CHANGED them in profound ways. Again, if not insane, how were their experiences caused, doctor?


purr
« Last Edit: Jun 9th, 2015, 5:39pm by purr » User IP Logged

Let us be sure that those who come after will say of us in our time, that in our time we did everything that could be done. We finished the race; we kept them free; we kept the faith.

-RONALD REAGAN
drwu23
Gold Member
ImageImageImageImageImage


member is offline

Avatar




PM

Gender: Male
Posts: 6591
xx Re: Critical Analysis of Research of Alien Abducti
« Reply #411 on: Jun 10th, 2015, 11:36am »

on Jun 9th, 2015, 5:37pm, purr wrote:
Well, nobody said anything about 'proving' anything, Wu. Ten years of abductee research by a Harvard Psychiatrist does constitute a compelling body of work imho.

Since your good self (in fairness with Jj leading the way in this forum) has been advocating how excellent an idea it is for alleged abduction experiencers to get themselves evaluated by accredited mental health professionals (to weed out disordered folk, while offering high standard counselling to authentic abductees), I'm rather surprised that you appear dismissive to Mack's long term group study doing precisely that, WHICH FOUND THEY WERE IN SLIGHTLY ABOVE AVERAGE MENTAL SHAPE.

Haven't a clue what it proves, but it stands to reason it means sumtin. These people believe they met aliens/ETs, communicated, interacted with them, felt this deeply and this CHANGED them in profound ways. Again, if not insane, how were their experiences caused, doctor?


purr


A lot of aspects there that need to be discussed.
Without secondary studies Mack's work remains inconclusive. He was also an academic psychiatrist (also a writer by profession..) and not a clinician...a valid point imo. Was there bias involved since he became obsessed with the abduction phenom.? Why was Harvard upset about his 'work' with so-called alien abductees? Was it politics or more going on..?
Did he use a control group? What does 'slightly above average mental shape' even mean'..? Would another doctor agree with him? Did any other professionals look at his 'data' and evaluate it?
Why was he so easily fooled by the lady posing as an abductee? (This tends to indicate he had no strong protocols or screening in place and did he have any scientific methodology in place to prevent data and factual errors?) I notice you have ignored that point several times in your replies..?
Many unanswered questions and no follow ups. I suspect Dr Mack had a personal interest in the phenom and went about this on his own with little regard for safeguards and rigid protocols....and then wrote 2 books .
In the end does it really mean 'sumtin' ? Or are you biased to wanting it to mean 'sumtin'.?

As an end note, I enjoyed his 2 books but I honestly can't say they tell us anything more about the abduction phenom than what we already knew before his 'study'.
And another thought goes to why no other psychiatrist similar to Mack has tried to replicate his work. Surely there must be serious reseachers at Harvard and elsewhere who think this is worth looking into? Where are they?
ps: I forgot to weigh in on what's causing the experiencers to have these 'abduction' memories. I suspect that the vast majority are psychological imagination and or dream recollection that don't fall under the rubric of being 'crazy' which is why Dr Mack did not bring this into play. In some cases there might be an actual objective trigger event that currently lies outside of our understanding. I do not support the idea that space aliens are literally abducting people. IMHO it's the least likely scenario.
« Last Edit: Jun 10th, 2015, 12:33pm by drwu23 » User IP Logged

INT21
Gold Member
ImageImageImageImageImage


member is offline

Avatar




PM

Gender: Male
Posts: 2938
xx Re: Critical Analysis of Research of Alien Abducti
« Reply #412 on: Jun 10th, 2015, 12:54pm »

Drwu wrote,

..I do not support the idea that space aliens are literally abducting people. IMHO it's the least likely scenario...

Seems eminently sensible to me. After all, no one can show that aliens, in the accepted sense, even exist.

Surely that would be a prerequisite to even begin to consider abductions by them.

HAL
INT21
User IP Logged

Isn't it midnight, on the other side of the world.
Do you remember
the face of a pretty girl ?
purr
Global Moderator
ImageImageImageImageImage


member is offline

Avatar

..you talkin' to me...YOU TALKIN' TO ME..??!


PM

Gender: Female
Posts: 4772
xx Re: Critical Analysis of Research of Alien Abducti
« Reply #413 on: Jun 11th, 2015, 4:37pm »

on Jun 9th, 2015, 09:37am, jjflash wrote:
I think it depends on specifically who you're talking about, purr. To discuss "abductees" in general can become a bit problematic, the more we get down to details.

A few points, please:

- Some work published by Dr. CA Morgan and recently posted in this thread could be interpreted to question Dr. Mack's approach. Specifically, Morgan very much warned of the inherent dangers to clinicians advocating the subjective interpretations of the patients as compared to providing treatment, the latter of which was within the scope of professional training and the former was subjective.

- To better understand how and why people will report vivid experiences in which the content is questionable (and sometimes entirely false), I invite review of the work of Dr. Elizabeth Loftus, among others. It is not speculative, but demonstrated fact through years of clinical trials and research.

- Such circumstances as addressed by Morgan and Loftus do not necessarily account for all reported abductions, but it definitely accounts for some, if not a very high percentage. In my opinion, much less easily explainable experiences would involve less sensational claims, such as indoor light phenomena, orbs, multiple witness occurrences of such indoor light phenomena and so on, more what we might call "high strangeness" than alien doctors from the stars. There are lots of reasons people interpret themselves to see the things they see, including seeing unusual phenomena, and I think we'd need to talk more specifics to make sure we're on the same page when discussing such reports.



Lots of things. Trauma would be a major cause. I'd highly recommend learning more about it and its symptoms if your question is sincere.

In my estimation, the leading cause of the spike in reported abductions during the 1990's was emotional trauma combined with an overeager UFO community that quickly encouraged people to consider themselves alien abductees when they reported fragmented memories and such. That, along with extremely questionable investigative tactics, led to a great deal of rather dubious reports.

Again, one would need to understand the work of Loftus and colleagues (the significance of how questions are asked effects what the individual believes they remember) to more fully grasp all the implications. That doesn't necessarily account for all reports, but there is no doubt that a high percentage of those reports is very suspect, and the UFO community's failure to educate itself about the psych paradigms and the effects of trauma only continues to add to the misunderstandings.


Hi Jj, I suppose initially I took the lazy route, of letting you (gradually as conversations develop in your thread) define Alien Abduction, its Research and what you envision when proposing critically analyzing methods, relevant sciences and various investigators of this phenomenon.




User Image
"....and when I snap ze fingers you WILL CLEARLY REMEMBER all ze little aliens and zeir amaaayzing MOTHERSHIP....[..snap..!]......"




You made a compelling case for hypno-regression being (ab)used to 'prove' in disturbing detail how mankind has been the victim of rather nasty probing, physical abductions, genetic crossbreeding and terrifying psychological interactions purportedly by alien/ET visitors. Imo some of these strange, often frightening reports could be indicative (not proof) of unknown entities attempting to contact human individuals, inviting further research.

Also, on the 'Emma Woods' case, I'd say most reasonable minds would agree with you on the regression therapy sessions conducted with this specific client falling well short of applicable standards. Difference between us, Jjflash: you extrapolate this instance of probable malpractice to all of Jacobs' clients and abduction work, potentially even to all experiencers choosing regression by the hand/fobwatch by a selfstyled therapist or trained MH professional. But imo the case does not necessarily impugn the entire phenomenon: the Emma Woods account allows for Jacobs, lacking formal training, becoming so absorbed by his own Abduction and 'Hybrid' hypothesis that he succumbed to (often felt) terror from these apparently hostile aliens, even to the point of becoming momentarily disordered himself(!), causing an instant of bizarre/unethical conduct (planting false hypnotic memories in Woods' subconscious). If indeed Woods was a fluke, his other clients might have fared better, exemplifying both normal and regression augmented memories of the abduction experience. Of course Jacobs' error has little or no bearing on longterm research by accredited psychiatrists like professor Mack or on the Barney and Betty Hill sessions by dr Simon. (I recall both doctors taking care not to 'lead', except for leading regression subjects AWAY from alien interpretations, without having discernible effect on these weird memories.)

I see no problem (and you seem to agree) with the following statement by CA Morgan smiley ......

At present, it is likely there is a legitimate reason, distinct and separate from the process of advocacy, for a psychiatrist to perform evaluations of asylum applicants. It is this: To provide clinical assessments and treatment for an individual whose psychiatric symptoms may be interfering with his or her ability to work with his or her attorney during the process of seeking asylum. This is within our scope of training and expertise; extending beyond evidence-based uses of our clinical skills to achieve a legal goal is advocacy, not ethical practice, and it will undermine the credibility of our profession.

Simply, whether assessing abductees or asylum seekers: WE CANNOT SEE INTO PEOPLE'S HEARTS. As I tried to say earlier, psychiatry is designed to reveal how the mind works, be it disordered, relatively symptom free or highly functional. Not pretend to establish the ultimate reality of an experience. In the final analysis a good therapist may equally treat, alleviate the mental suffering, of traumatized torture victims or deeply terrorized abductees seeking help!

Loftus' intriguing, sometime ominous paper on sleep deprivation (and other memory inducing experiments) shows convincingly that memories, accurate or false, are caused, they (of course) do not miraculousy selfgenerate. It takes hard and brilliant work to make folks remember stuff in the psych lab. Takes me back to my original question: what caused abduction experiences in subjects (Mack patient group) who were not fullblown PTST or Schizophrenia sufferers, or diagnosed with a type of debilitating disorder. (Trauma/delusion then does not compute imho.)


purr
« Last Edit: Jun 11th, 2015, 5:36pm by purr » User IP Logged

Let us be sure that those who come after will say of us in our time, that in our time we did everything that could be done. We finished the race; we kept them free; we kept the faith.

-RONALD REAGAN
ZETAR
Mod Director
Global Moderator
ImageImageImageImageImage


member is offline

Avatar

GREAT SPIRITS ALWAYS ENCOUNTER THE MOST VIOLENT OPPOSITION FROM MEDIOCRE MINDS E=MC2


PM

Gender: Male
Posts: 7957
xx Re: Critical Analysis of Research of Alien Abducti
« Reply #414 on: Jun 11th, 2015, 6:41pm »

PURR,

TO WIT:

"(gradually as conversations develop in your thread)"

LIKE MINDS EH...

"indicative of unknown entities attempting to contact human individuals, inviting further research."

THAT SEEMS TO BE THE PATTERN!

"Takes me back to my question: what caused abduction experiences in subjects (Mack) who were not fullblown PTST or Schizophrenia sufferers, schizophreniacs, or diagnosed with a debilitating disorder."

ONE MUST FACTOR ~ SCREEN MEMORIES ~ IMHO ~ CERTAINLY SHOULD BE CONSIDERED WITH MULTIPLE EXPERIENCERS AT THE SAME EVENT ~ PERCEIVING DIFFERENT RECOLLECTIONS ~ SUMPTIN I OFTEN PONDERED ~ IN MY LAY OPINION...grin

"Freud used the term "screen memory" to denote any memory which
functions to hide (and to derivitively express) another, typically
unconscious, mental content. Freud distinguished between three types of
screen memory: those in which a recollection from childhood "screens" or
conceals some event contemporary with it, those in which a later
recollection stands for a memory of a childhood event, and those in which
a childhood recollection represents a later concern (Freud, 1901b; Freud,
1899a). Freud called the latter variety "retrogressive screen memories"

THIS ALWAYS ENTERESTED ME AS RATHER THAN CHILDHOOD CAUSE AND EFFECT ~ EVENT/EXPERIENCE ORIENTED STIMULI ~ CERTAINLY RAISES TANGENTIAL APPLICATIONS TO SCREEN MEMORIES...AGAIN IMHO... cool

HOPE I GOT THAT MOTOR PURRRRRRING...cool

User Image

SHALOM...Z

EDIT TO ADD:

" I'm attempting to get Jjflash to take a peek (and even look seriously) into the paradox of abductees reporting the most vivid, life changing and paradigm shifting alien encounters, yet not having been found to be more, rather: LESS disordered than the general population (by John Mack's research)."

I CON-PURR WITH THAT APPROACH...

Song by Steppenwolf, Bikers & Blues, ...WITH MODERATION FROM ZETAR

Get your motor PURRIN'
Head out on the highway
Looking for adventure
In whatever comes our way

Yeah, darlin'
Gonna make it happen
Take the world in a love embrace
Fire all of your guns at once
And explode into space

I like smoke and lightnin'
Heavy Metal thunder
Racing in the wind
And the feeling that I'm under

Yeah, darlin'
Gonna make it happen
Take the world in a love embrace
Fire all of your guns at once
And explode into space

Like a true nature's child
We were born
Born to be PURRIN
We can climb so high
I never wanna die

Born to be PURRIN
Born to be PURRIN



« Last Edit: Jun 11th, 2015, 9:24pm by ZETAR » User IP Logged

GREAT SPIRITS ALWAYS ENCOUNTER THE MOST VIOLENT OPPOSITION FROM MEDIOCRE MINDS E=MC2
jjflash
Gold Member
ImageImageImageImageImage


member is offline

Avatar




Homepage PM


Posts: 1476
xx Re: Critical Analysis of Research of Alien Abducti
« Reply #415 on: Jun 12th, 2015, 4:09pm »

purr,

Thanks for your thoughtful and pointed post. I think we share several of the same perspectives, even if we come at them from diverse angles.

If there would be a point I seem to most differ with you, it would be the potential effects of trauma. Perhaps another way of looking at it would be that there are of course lots of reasons for why people say the things they say, other than the statements necessarily indicate accuracy.

That stated, I am more than willing to again concede that all self-described abductees, or even all of the late Dr. Mack's abductees, are not necessarily incorrect that they encountered some kind of unusual phenomena. My primary objections would include:

- their narrations cannot be taken at face value without corroborating evidence

- tactics such as employed by Mack do not move the conversation forward, but stagnate it if not move it backwards

- people/experiencers have and continue to be hurt in the process by self-described investigators who try to present themselves as scientifically oriented while actually deviating greatly from Mack's call for a moderate approach

But I understand what I interpret to be your concerns, purr, that the experience itself not get lost in the complicated shuffle, and that the experiencer not be degraded and minimized. People deserve respectful treatment, and that was indeed part of my motive for ever sticking with all this as long as I have.

Thanks again for your post and comments. Your input is appreciated.
User IP Logged

The UFO Trail
purr
Global Moderator
ImageImageImageImageImage


member is offline

Avatar

..you talkin' to me...YOU TALKIN' TO ME..??!


PM

Gender: Female
Posts: 4772
xx Re: Critical Analysis of Research of Alien Abducti
« Reply #416 on: Jun 14th, 2015, 12:04pm »

on Jun 11th, 2015, 6:41pm, ZETAR wrote:
PURR,

TO WIT:

"(gradually as conversations develop in your thread)"

LIKE MINDS EH...

"indicative of unknown entities attempting to contact human individuals, inviting further research."

THAT SEEMS TO BE THE PATTERN!

"Takes me back to my question: what caused abduction experiences in subjects (Mack) who were not fullblown PTST or Schizophrenia sufferers, schizophreniacs, or diagnosed with a debilitating disorder."

ONE MUST FACTOR ~ SCREEN MEMORIES ~ IMHO ~ CERTAINLY SHOULD BE CONSIDERED WITH MULTIPLE EXPERIENCERS AT THE SAME EVENT ~ PERCEIVING DIFFERENT RECOLLECTIONS ~ SUMPTIN I OFTEN PONDERED ~ IN MY LAY OPINION...grin

"Freud used the term "screen memory" to denote any memory which
functions to hide (and to derivitively express) another, typically
unconscious, mental content. Freud distinguished between three types of
screen memory: those in which a recollection from childhood "screens" or
conceals some event contemporary with it, those in which a later
recollection stands for a memory of a childhood event, and those in which
a childhood recollection represents a later concern (Freud, 1901b; Freud,
1899a). Freud called the latter variety "retrogressive screen memories"

THIS ALWAYS ENTERESTED ME AS RATHER THAN CHILDHOOD CAUSE AND EFFECT ~ EVENT/EXPERIENCE ORIENTED STIMULI ~ CERTAINLY RAISES TANGENTIAL APPLICATIONS TO SCREEN MEMORIES...AGAIN IMHO... cool

HOPE I GOT THAT MOTOR PURRRRRRING...cool

User Image

SHALOM...Z

EDIT TO ADD:

" I'm attempting to get Jjflash to take a peek (and even look seriously) into the paradox of abductees reporting the most vivid, life changing and paradigm shifting alien encounters, yet not having been found to be more, rather: LESS disordered than the general population (by John Mack's research)."

I CON-PURR WITH THAT APPROACH...

Song by Steppenwolf, Bikers & Blues, ...WITH MODERATION FROM ZETAR

Get your motor PURRIN'
Head out on the highway
Looking for adventure
In whatever comes our way

Yeah, darlin'
Gonna make it happen
Take the world in a love embrace
Fire all of your guns at once
And explode into space

I like smoke and lightnin'
Heavy Metal thunder
Racing in the wind
And the feeling that I'm under

Yeah, darlin'
Gonna make it happen
Take the world in a love embrace
Fire all of your guns at once
And explode into space

Like a true nature's child
We were born
Born to be PURRIN
We can climb so high
I never wanna die

Born to be PURRIN
Born to be PURRIN





PURRIN away just to keep up with you, ZETAR smiley, and you clearly are on a roll!

Screen memories. This explanation for the (usually partial, fragmentary, highly strange, like of meeting a terrible talking bunny etc.) memories of abduction experiencers is well accepted within the UFO/Abduction community.

I think the two applicable types are screens for a real, hidden event (X) contemporary with its (false) screen memory, as well as real events misremembered as its later occurring (true) screen-event.

(Any "retrogressive screen memory" of an alleged abduction, would inevitably qualify as false memory, or a delusion.)

I would be interested to hear you theorize about any real (or otherwise) abduction event 'screened' by our (complex, layered, wonderfully CREATIVE) Human Memory.

ZETAR: what's happening to these folk, in your opinion?


purr
User IP Logged

Let us be sure that those who come after will say of us in our time, that in our time we did everything that could be done. We finished the race; we kept them free; we kept the faith.

-RONALD REAGAN
ZETAR
Mod Director
Global Moderator
ImageImageImageImageImage


member is offline

Avatar

GREAT SPIRITS ALWAYS ENCOUNTER THE MOST VIOLENT OPPOSITION FROM MEDIOCRE MINDS E=MC2


PM

Gender: Male
Posts: 7957
xx Re: Critical Analysis of Research of Alien Abducti
« Reply #417 on: Jun 14th, 2015, 1:34pm »

PURR,

TO WIT:

"ZETAR: what's happening to these folk, in your opinion?"

WITHOUT LIMITING THE POSSIBILTIES...MY THOUGHTS CENTER AROUND...

1) ACTUAL EXPERIENCE

2) PLASTICITY

3) TELEPATHY ~ AS SUCH FITS MY UNDERSTANDING OF SCREEN MEMORY (ENTITIES CAPABLE OF MANIFESTING SUCH IN INDIVIDUALS) ~ WHICH INDEED IS A REACH ~ BUT ONE MIGHT FACTOR A SPECIES WHOM MAY BE SOME 1,000,000 YEARS/DIMENSIONS OUR SUPERIOR ~ IMHO ~ WOULD BE CHILDS PLAY

User Image

SO WE'LL PONDER THE TERRESTRIAL POSSIBILITIES PRIOR TO CONSIDERING ETH/DIMENSIONAL CONSIDERATIONS...

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2012/10/121005103330.htm

Researchers from the University of Exeter Medical School have for the first time identified the mechanism that protects us from developing uncontrollable fear.

Our brains have the extraordinary capacity to adapt to changing environments -- experts call this 'plasticity'. Plasticity protects us from developing mental disorders as the result of stress and trauma.

Researchers found that stressful events re-programme certain receptors in the emotional centre of the brain (the amygdala), which the receptors then determine how the brain reacts to the next traumatic event.

These receptors (called protease-activated receptor 1 or PAR1) act in the same way as a command centre, telling neurons whether they should stop or accelerate their activity.

I'M GUESSING SOME ARE ~ MORE CAPABLE OF HANDLING SUCH EXPERIENCES WITHOUT YE OLE FUSE BOX SNAPPING FUSES ~ THEN THE QUESTION OF INTENT BY SUCH ENTITIES SHOULD BE PONDERED...AND...GET YOUR MOTOR PURRIN AS...LEMME GUESS >>> THIS CONCEPT FIXATES YOUR CURIOSITY <<< AS DOES MINE I MIGHT ADD grin

AS THE DISCUSSION DEVELOPS...WHICH REQUIRES COLLATERAL INPUT ~ MIGHT YOU AGREE wink

User Image

SHALOM...Z

EDIT TO ADD:

"(Any "retrogressive screen memory" of an alleged abduction, would inevitably qualify as false memory, or a delusion.)"

I AM UNABLE TO CONFIRM NOR DENY THE ABOVE REFERENCED...grin
« Last Edit: Jun 14th, 2015, 1:45pm by ZETAR » User IP Logged

GREAT SPIRITS ALWAYS ENCOUNTER THE MOST VIOLENT OPPOSITION FROM MEDIOCRE MINDS E=MC2
carolnistri
Gold Member
ImageImageImageImageImage


member is offline

Avatar




PM


Posts: 2039
xx Re: Critical Analysis of Research of Alien Abducti
« Reply #418 on: Jun 15th, 2015, 05:14am »

what I believe has happend is that the little darlins have been found out,not by you and me but professional researchers that have stumbled on the "answer". So the little bastards have gone underground until they feel the coast be cleared.I know that sounds bizzare but its what Ive come to believe,the abductions happens in the mind only.For that bright light to appear just before an experience is somewhat a bit to conventiant.
« Last Edit: Jun 15th, 2015, 05:15am by carolnistri » User IP Logged

INT21
Gold Member
ImageImageImageImageImage


member is offline

Avatar




PM

Gender: Male
Posts: 2938
xx Re: Critical Analysis of Research of Alien Abducti
« Reply #419 on: Jun 15th, 2015, 05:48am »

Carolnistri,

...the abductions happens in the mind only...

So, if the abductions happen only in the mind, would you agree that the expression 'it's all in the mind' is appropriate ? Nothing really happens in reality ?

And how do your demons fit into this are they also all in the mind ? If so it would seem to imply that as demons are of religious origin, then religion is also all in the mind.

I.e a fiction created by humans.

HAL
INT21
« Last Edit: Jun 15th, 2015, 05:48am by INT21 » User IP Logged

Isn't it midnight, on the other side of the world.
Do you remember
the face of a pretty girl ?
Pages: 1 ... 26 27 28 29 30  ...  33 Notify Send Topic Print
« Previous Topic | Next Topic »

Become a member of the UFO Casebook Forum today and join our more than 18,000 members.

Visit the UFO Casebook Web Site

Donate $6.99 for 50,000 Ad-Free Pageviews!

| |

This forum powered for FREE by Conforums ©
Sign up for your own Free Message Board today!
Terms of Service | Privacy Policy | Conforums Support | Parental Controls