Board Logo
« What music are you listening to now? »

Welcome Guest. Please Login or Register.
Aug 19th, 2017, 11:12pm


Visit the UFO Casebook Web Site

*Totally FREE 24/7 Access *Your Nickname and Avatar *Private Messages

*Join today and be a part of one of the largest UFO sites on the Net.


« Previous Topic | Next Topic »
Pages: 1 ... 39 40 41 42 43  ...  285 Notify Send Topic Print
 veryhotthread  Author  Topic: What music are you listening to now?  (Read 32013 times)
Spike001
Full Member
ImageImageImage


member is offline

Avatar




PM

Gender: Male
Posts: 125
xx Re: What music are you listening to now?
« Reply #600 on: Jul 11th, 2011, 3:04pm »

Shawn Mullins "Lullaby"
User IP Logged

User Image
icepick
Gold Member
ImageImageImageImageImage


member is offline

Avatar




PM

Gender: Male
Posts: 5931
xx Re: What music are you listening to now?
« Reply #601 on: Jul 11th, 2011, 3:10pm »

on Jul 11th, 2011, 2:55pm, cowanln wrote:
Alanis Morissette "So called Chaos"

Finally a valid follow up to Jagged Little Pill.


No more antibiotics? grin

Actually, I thought that video was cool. Hated the song though.

Alanis sings her heart out. Unfortunately not to the quality of Janis or somebody like that. But she definitely earns her points for effort. I think where she got herself in trouble was during that political phase. It's not the sixties anymore, and a generation just hasn't been able to develop a consensus since those days. After issues like Sinead Occonor or the Dixie Chicks ran into? It's probably wisest for performers to keep quiet about their opinions these days.

They're entitled to have them. But it seems like their pocketbooks suffer if they vocalize. With what the RIAA has done to them in recent years, they can ill afford that.

And in my humble opinion, the RIAA has almost killed rock and roll in America. But wasn't that their all time record Golden Goose? Idiocy knows no bounds. grin grin
User IP Logged

Spike001
Full Member
ImageImageImage


member is offline

Avatar




PM

Gender: Male
Posts: 125
xx Re: What music are you listening to now?
« Reply #602 on: Jul 11th, 2011, 3:17pm »

Wilson Philips "Release Me"
User IP Logged

User Image
drwu23
Gold Member
ImageImageImageImageImage


member is offline

Avatar




PM

Gender: Male
Posts: 6592
xx Re: What music are you listening to now?
« Reply #603 on: Jul 11th, 2011, 4:37pm »

on Jul 11th, 2011, 12:36am, icepick wrote:
Nope, not many live cuts better than that one. I have it filed away carefully. On CD. Along with Uriah Heep, Foghat, and several live Deep Purple Concerts. Some prize live performers in that crowd.


Of course Machine Head is my favorite Purple lp though Purple in Rock and Fireball are very good. What's your favorite Heep lp..?

cool
User IP Logged

icepick
Gold Member
ImageImageImageImageImage


member is offline

Avatar




PM

Gender: Male
Posts: 5931
xx Re: What music are you listening to now?
« Reply #604 on: Jul 12th, 2011, 2:39pm »

Heep? That's tough. I've always loved Salisbury, Demons & Wizards, and the Magician's Birthday. But I also like the stuff like Look At Yourself too, so you tell me.

BTW, their 1973 Live CD which they recorded in Birmingham, England is an absolutely killer live recording. But Deep Purple has two live shows other than the Made in Japan cut that top just about any live cuts I've ever heard. But you have to consider the fact that live shows is what that group was always about. They're the Grateful Dead of Hard Rock. I remember being able to catch them at least twice a year back around 1972 on the eastern seaboard. Nobody but nobody could tear up a keyboard of any type like Jon Lord. Definitely some of the best concerts ever came out of them. And I'm definitely a qualified judge. This concertaholic caught any show that was available back then. Well, within about 900 miles of Southwest Virginia that is. Roughly 1.25 shows a week or something like that. I wore out three vans before I left that area in 1974. I saw Bull's Island, Ann Arbor, Rockingham and a ton of major festivals too. But no Woodstock. I was too busy getting my butt shot off in SE Asia.

Take care
Tim
User IP Logged

icepick
Gold Member
ImageImageImageImageImage


member is offline

Avatar




PM

Gender: Male
Posts: 5931
xx Re: What music are you listening to now?
« Reply #605 on: Jul 12th, 2011, 2:41pm »

Oh, BTW. Right now? Foghat Live, I Just Want To Make Love To You. Just had to share that.
User IP Logged

drwu23
Gold Member
ImageImageImageImageImage


member is offline

Avatar




PM

Gender: Male
Posts: 6592
xx Re: What music are you listening to now?
« Reply #606 on: Jul 12th, 2011, 5:20pm »

on Jul 12th, 2011, 2:39pm, icepick wrote:
Heep? That's tough. I've always loved Salisbury, Demons & Wizards, and the Magician's Birthday. But I also like the stuff like Look At Yourself too, so you tell me.

BTW, their 1973 Live CD which they recorded in Birmingham, England is an absolutely killer live recording. But Deep Purple has two live shows other than the Made in Japan cut that top just about any live cuts I've ever heard. But you have to consider the fact that live shows is what that group was always about. They're the Grateful Dead of Hard Rock. I remember being able to catch them at least twice a year back around 1972 on the eastern seaboard. Nobody but nobody could tear up a keyboard of any type like Jon Lord. Definitely some of the best concerts ever came out of them. And I'm definitely a qualified judge. This concertaholic caught any show that was available back then. Well, within about 900 miles of Southwest Virginia that is. Roughly 1.25 shows a week or something like that. I wore out three vans before I left that area in 1974. I saw Bull's Island, Ann Arbor, Rockingham and a ton of major festivals too. But no Woodstock. I was too busy getting my butt shot off in SE Asia.

Take care
Tim


Those 3 you named are my favorite Heep also.
Saw Deep Purple open up for Rod Stewart & The Faces in Chicago (in 1973?).
Sounds like you saw many more shows than I managed to see in the old days. I lived in Indiana 45 miles south of Chicago but was at IU Bloomington from 69-75. Did see some great acts there but unfortunately I was in college and had class when many good shows were happening elsewhere.
User IP Logged

icepick
Gold Member
ImageImageImageImageImage


member is offline

Avatar




PM

Gender: Male
Posts: 5931
xx Re: What music are you listening to now?
« Reply #607 on: Jul 13th, 2011, 10:17am »

Yeah, I saw a lot of shows. I would buy a ticket for any genre except bubble gum. Music is music, and if the performer is perfectionist? Well all of the supergroups were that, right? But today the ticket prices alone would kill me. I was going to go to the Eagles reunion tour, but then I saw that $400 price at Ticketmaster. Nobody is worth $400 unless they've come back from the grave.

I think that Faces Purple tour was actually 1969. Once In Rock came out nobody was able to stick on the same stage with Purple until Nazareth in 1974. Everytime I saw them they were the lone name on the venue except for one tour they did with Tuckey Buzzard in 1972. No band likes getting booed off the stage, and Purple fans developed a nasty habit of doing that as soon as somebody hit a sour note. Cream even got that treatment on their farewell tour for crapsake. What's wrong with people anyway? It's pretty rude to dump on a performer like that just because they don't quite measure up in my book. There's such a thing as courtesy ya know.

However, I saw three Zeppelin concerts where I would have given somebody the gun if they wanted to drag them out back and shoot them. I was a huge Zep fan until I saw those concerts. I guess they were just a studio band. Sides, Plant has an ego that won't fit in any stadium. That can be tough to take.

They were the only group that ever truly disappointed me though. Usually I got surprised. Like the time Billy Preston came to the local college at Wise. That guy knew how to put on a show!

Never saw Faces unfortunately. Were they any good?
User IP Logged

drwu23
Gold Member
ImageImageImageImageImage


member is offline

Avatar




PM

Gender: Male
Posts: 6592
xx Re: What music are you listening to now?
« Reply #608 on: Jul 14th, 2011, 2:24pm »

on Jul 13th, 2011, 10:17am, icepick wrote:
Yeah, I saw a lot of shows. I would buy a ticket for any genre except bubble gum. Music is music, and if the performer is perfectionist? Well all of the supergroups were that, right? But today the ticket prices alone would kill me. I was going to go to the Eagles reunion tour, but then I saw that $400 price at Ticketmaster. Nobody is worth $400 unless they've come back from the grave.

I think that Faces Purple tour was actually 1969. Once In Rock came out nobody was able to stick on the same stage with Purple until Nazareth in 1974. Everytime I saw them they were the lone name on the venue except for one tour they did with Tuckey Buzzard in 1972. No band likes getting booed off the stage, and Purple fans developed a nasty habit of doing that as soon as somebody hit a sour note. Cream even got that treatment on their farewell tour for crapsake. What's wrong with people anyway? It's pretty rude to dump on a performer like that just because they don't quite measure up in my book. There's such a thing as courtesy ya know.

However, I saw three Zeppelin concerts where I would have given somebody the gun if they wanted to drag them out back and shoot them. I was a huge Zep fan until I saw those concerts. I guess they were just a studio band. Sides, Plant has an ego that won't fit in any stadium. That can be tough to take.

They were the only group that ever truly disappointed me though. Usually I got surprised. Like the time Billy Preston came to the local college at Wise. That guy knew how to put on a show!

Never saw Faces unfortunately. Were they any good?


'69..? Could have been, I guess my memory is bad.
I don't have a problem with bands being a bit off since it's hard to always recreate the same sound live especially in the old days.
Never saw the original Zep....I was always in the wrong place. I have seen plenty of video and they often were a bit sloppy.
I saw Plant and Page in Chicago in 98..
http://www.setlist.fm/setlist/jimmy-page-and-robert-plant/1998/united-center-chicago-il-2bd7b8c6.html
1998-Page/Plant close out their first leg of the US tour with a second show at the Chicago United Center. Dennis Rodman makes an appearance during the encore.

The Faces were good but they were also a little sloppy like the Stones were at times.
My favorite hard rock show was The Who in 1974 Bloomington. IN
Jethro Tull were also very good around the same time.
I saw James Gang with Walsh in 72 at IU....great show also.
User IP Logged

Spike001
Full Member
ImageImageImage


member is offline

Avatar




PM

Gender: Male
Posts: 125
xx Re: What music are you listening to now?
« Reply #609 on: Jul 14th, 2011, 2:26pm »

Glee "Alone"
User IP Logged

User Image
drwu23
Gold Member
ImageImageImageImageImage


member is offline

Avatar




PM

Gender: Male
Posts: 6592
xx Re: What music are you listening to now?
« Reply #610 on: Jul 14th, 2011, 3:39pm »

on Jul 14th, 2011, 2:26pm, Spike001 wrote:
Glee "Alone"



Seriously.....?


wink
« Last Edit: Jul 14th, 2011, 3:39pm by drwu23 » User IP Logged

icepick
Gold Member
ImageImageImageImageImage


member is offline

Avatar




PM

Gender: Male
Posts: 5931
xx Re: What music are you listening to now?
« Reply #611 on: Jul 22nd, 2011, 9:11pm »

on Jul 14th, 2011, 2:24pm, drwu23 wrote:
'69..? Could have been, I guess my memory is bad.
I don't have a problem with bands being a bit off since it's hard to always recreate the same sound live especially in the old days.
Never saw the original Zep....I was always in the wrong place. I have seen plenty of video and they often were a bit sloppy.
I saw Plant and Page in Chicago in 98..
http://www.setlist.fm/setlist/jimmy-page-and-robert-plant/1998/united-center-chicago-il-2bd7b8c6.html
1998-Page/Plant close out their first leg of the US tour with a second show at the Chicago United Center. Dennis Rodman makes an appearance during the encore.

The Faces were good but they were also a little sloppy like the Stones were at times.
My favorite hard rock show was The Who in 1974 Bloomington. IN
Jethro Tull were also very good around the same time.
I saw James Gang with Walsh in 72 at IU....great show also.



You lucky ............ whatever. One band I always tried to see but it never worked out for was the who. But you're right about Tull. They were very good. The Stones could get sloppy, but usually they added to their sound anyway. Much like Free did.

Two more groups that were unbelievably good back then was Queen. And Elf before they became Rainbow. They were great as Rainbow too, but were only that for a short time. Blackmore has always had that ego problem you know. If you weren't an absolutely great musician, you wouldn't be around him for long. Definitely famous for being a jerk, even though he is a guitar virtuoso.

Yes, it was tough for bands to reproduce their sounds perfectly in the days of analog. But a great band could add much to their music in a live show. Purple was great at that. That's what having Jon Lord and his evil organ did for them. And Heep could come in right behind them, because their organ player wasn't all that far behind Lord in many ways. A great, non-synthesized, keyboard player is always able to make a band stand out. Play the synthesizer later for itself, in its own right. There doesn't seem to be much in the way of classicly trained keyboard players showing up in Rock and Roll today. That's too bad, but I do understand. I tried to master the keyboards years ago. Very hard to do, takes many years. But the ones who do it always make the sound of their band. Guitars are great, but what can I say?

I will take that back for one guitar player though. John McLaughlin of the Mahavishnu Orchestra. The guy was great. Familiar?

The RIAA has pretty much axed R&R these days. Only the elder statesmen greats seem to be able to come up with great shows. Most of the best new acts I've heard in recent years are playing the Blues. But hey, the Blues are 99% R&R aren't they? It is good that most of the old Prog and Hard Rock people are still making music, but I've noticed they stick to Europe for the most part. I'd love to make the new Grand Casino in Montreaux these days. I hear the acoustics don't sound as good as they did before the show that the song was written about, but Freddy and others did donate enough to make for a great sounding concert hall I hear. Maybe someday we could all make a one of those shows they put on there eh? Would be great. Festivals don't happen in the states anymore. Major bummage.
User IP Logged

drwu23
Gold Member
ImageImageImageImageImage


member is offline

Avatar




PM

Gender: Male
Posts: 6592
xx Re: What music are you listening to now?
« Reply #612 on: Jul 23rd, 2011, 1:45pm »

on Jul 22nd, 2011, 9:11pm, icepick wrote:
I will take that back for one guitar player though. John McLaughlin of the Mahavishnu Orchestra. The guy was great. Familiar?

.


I saw the original Mahavishnu outside in Chicago around 1976...very good show but I was pretty far back . I have the band music as well as some solo Mclaughlin stuff.

BTW..did you get the 'Beautiful Day/Kak' package..?
User IP Logged

icepick
Gold Member
ImageImageImageImageImage


member is offline

Avatar




PM

Gender: Male
Posts: 5931
xx Re: What music are you listening to now?
« Reply #613 on: Jul 26th, 2011, 02:13am »

Yes. I just logged in to tell you I got them today. Thanks. Nice job on them too. IABD is such an ancient release they're even hard to spot on Amazon. Developed taste for sure, but they definitely fit really nice into a mellower mix. I got pretty good at mixing sounds together years back when I purchased my first Teac reel to reel. If I had used my head I would have kept one of those. I did keep my old MacIntosh Labs quadrophonic amplifier, but haven't lived in a place where I could use it for years. Where we live now, I would blast the windows out on one. What's the point of making a 4 channel, 1000 watt per channel RMS amp anyway? I had to go into major debt to buy speakers for it. 4 speakers, each one the size of a refrigerator. Yeesh!

I'll get a couple of good blanks right back to you. I definitely appreciate. So much of the best music is ancient it seems. I would think I'm just getting old myself, but all of the kids around here are always hitting me up for copies ............ there's good new talent out there, but they're all going for alternative methods of release. The RIAA has screwed everything so bad I'm wondering what the music scene will look like in a few years.
User IP Logged

Smersh
Gold Member
ImageImageImageImageImage


member is offline

Avatar



ICQ
Homepage PM

Gender: Male
Posts: 1854
xx Re: What music are you listening to now?
« Reply #614 on: Jul 28th, 2011, 07:46am »

User IP Logged

http://www.cosmophobia.org/

Pobody's nerfect.
Pages: 1 ... 39 40 41 42 43  ...  285 Notify Send Topic Print
« Previous Topic | Next Topic »

Become a member of the UFO Casebook Forum today and join our more than 19,000 members.

Visit the UFO Casebook Web Site

Donate $6.99 for 50,000 Ad-Free Pageviews!

| |

This forum powered for FREE by Conforums ©
Sign up for your own Free Message Board today!
Terms of Service | Privacy Policy | Conforums Support | Parental Controls