Board Logo
« What music are you listening to now? »

Welcome Guest. Please Login or Register.
Aug 23rd, 2017, 6:26pm


Visit the UFO Casebook Web Site

*Totally FREE 24/7 Access *Your Nickname and Avatar *Private Messages

*Join today and be a part of one of the largest UFO sites on the Net.


« Previous Topic | Next Topic »
Pages: 1 ... 59 60 61 62 63  ...  286 Notify Send Topic Print
 veryhotthread  Author  Topic: What music are you listening to now?  (Read 34162 times)
drwu23
Gold Member
ImageImageImageImageImage


member is offline

Avatar




PM

Gender: Male
Posts: 6592
xx Re: What music are you listening to now?
« Reply #900 on: Mar 14th, 2012, 4:20pm »

on Mar 14th, 2012, 3:23pm, icepick wrote:
Cold? As in a lack of soul? No, not as in soul music, but you probably know that.

This can be an issue with keyboards, so long as you aren't thinking solos. Solos are a very small, unimportant piece actually, of the role of this group of instruments. But everybody seems to hang on them.

But if it's the depth part of keyboards you're referring to, it can definitely destroy any tune involved. I use a different term though. Clinical. Because that's what it makes me think and feel.

Any band featuring a set of boards should have a depth in their music that leaves one moved. Too many do not. And even the best has their bad moments. Understandable, considering the structure involved, but the great ones overcome this.

That said, this is an area where Walsh beats Wakeman hands down. It's very easy to sit back and get lost in those tunes by Kansas. Not nearly as easy to do so with the music of Yes. In short, I've always thought Wakeman did great with solos, but failed miserably at his primary job. Since the talent is there, perhaps this has something to do with other issues? Just sayin' ......... but I've always felt much more satisfied after listening to Kansas than Yes.

Point of Know Return being an excellent example in my opinion.


I like Kansas but...always liked Yes better and to me Walsh is good but Wakeman is simply better. His work on Fragile and Close To The Edge has both soul and melody and technical genius.

.btw my favorite Kansas piece is Song For America...imho their most epic piece.
I think Walsh does some of his best work on this one.

« Last Edit: Mar 14th, 2012, 5:40pm by drwu23 » User IP Logged

PowerKnight
Metallic Silver Flying Saucers Exist...I Should Know I Once Experienced A Close Encounter Of The First Kind!
Gold Member
ImageImageImageImageImage


member is offline

Avatar

Silver Spaceships Of Sublime Beauty!


PM

Gender: Male
Posts: 1705
xx Re: What music are you listening to now?
« Reply #901 on: Mar 14th, 2012, 4:56pm »

Wakeman takes it for his dexterity speed and versatility and I would consider him the finest keyboard player there ever has been.
Recently after a friend of mine who plays drums always pointed out to me Buddy Rich the worlds greatest drummer. Well after years of finding some form of proof I found on youtube...entitled The Impossible Drum Solo, I am yet to see or hear anything better than this.
His left hand technique is simply unique...pardon the pun, in fact it`s that fast much of it flat out drums it`s actually a blur and that`s no exaggeration!
A natural unique talent, just when I thought I had seen it all! PowerKnight wink
User IP Logged

PowerKnight`s Perchance To Dream...

Joust With Thee
For I The PowerKnight Hath Taken
Escaped From The Castle
A Damsel Distressed Unto Thee
The PowerKnight Legacy

...Composed From The Poetic Pen Of PowerKnight.
drwu23
Gold Member
ImageImageImageImageImage


member is offline

Avatar




PM

Gender: Male
Posts: 6592
xx Re: What music are you listening to now?
« Reply #902 on: Mar 14th, 2012, 5:39pm »

on Mar 14th, 2012, 4:56pm, PowerKnight wrote:
Wakeman takes it for his dexterity speed and versatility and I would consider him the finest keyboard player there ever has been.
Recently after a friend of mine who plays drums always pointed out to me Buddy Rich the worlds greatest drummer. Well after years of finding some form of proof I found on youtube...entitled The Impossible Drum Solo, I am yet to see or hear anything better than this.
His left hand technique is simply unique...pardon the pun, in fact it`s that fast much of it flat out drums it`s actually a blur and that`s no exaggeration!
A natural unique talent, just when I thought I had seen it all! PowerKnight wink


As Icepick said it comes down to what one likes and the music.
Some of my favorite drummers in no special order

Bruford
Cobham
Palmer
Giles
Collins
Baker
Bonham

http://www.listology.com/blindsider/list/rolling-stone-100-greatest-drummers
User IP Logged

drwu23
Gold Member
ImageImageImageImageImage


member is offline

Avatar




PM

Gender: Male
Posts: 6592
xx Re: What music are you listening to now?
« Reply #903 on: Mar 14th, 2012, 11:56pm »




for all those who want to take that ride............
cool
User IP Logged

Spike001
Full Member
ImageImageImage


member is offline

Avatar




PM

Gender: Male
Posts: 125
xx Re: What music are you listening to now?
« Reply #904 on: Mar 15th, 2012, 12:42pm »

Your Favorite Martian "Zombie Love Song"
User IP Logged

User Image
PowerKnight
Metallic Silver Flying Saucers Exist...I Should Know I Once Experienced A Close Encounter Of The First Kind!
Gold Member
ImageImageImageImageImage


member is offline

Avatar

Silver Spaceships Of Sublime Beauty!


PM

Gender: Male
Posts: 1705
xx Re: What music are you listening to now?
« Reply #905 on: Mar 15th, 2012, 1:57pm »

Of course it comes down to a musicians mojo in the instrument they play or the way a singer can express and deliver a lyric, especially their own penned stuff.
Lyrics mean nothing, they have to be delivered! For my mind give me Wakeman`s 70s solo stuff over any of his Yes work, drummers I haven`t even bothered to check the list.
Why it`s basically a real mish mash of the times and they are never accurate no matter what instrument they play, unless drwu123 can correct me! Favourite drummer...easy...Cozy Powell...a legend and the second heaviest drummer of all time just behind Bonzo.
His early work in the very early 70s and all his Rainbow work defined what he stood for, saw him live three times.
The hit single Dance With The Devil was a real groove, second drummer for me John Bonham then Keith Moon but there are better drummers in different fields.
Neil Peart of Rush is a modern day Buddy Rich, so many of them, PowerKnight wink
User IP Logged

PowerKnight`s Perchance To Dream...

Joust With Thee
For I The PowerKnight Hath Taken
Escaped From The Castle
A Damsel Distressed Unto Thee
The PowerKnight Legacy

...Composed From The Poetic Pen Of PowerKnight.
Spiritinthesky
New Member
Image


member is offline

Avatar




PM


Posts: 9
xx Re: What music are you listening to now?
« Reply #906 on: Mar 15th, 2012, 2:01pm »

Tracey Browne Everyone Is Ordinary, new singer from the North West who has made her debut album free to hear on an iPhone App which is cool.

http://tinyurl.com/6qzkre3
User IP Logged

drwu23
Gold Member
ImageImageImageImageImage


member is offline

Avatar




PM

Gender: Male
Posts: 6592
xx Re: What music are you listening to now?
« Reply #907 on: Mar 15th, 2012, 3:12pm »

on Mar 15th, 2012, 1:57pm, PowerKnight wrote:
Of course it comes down to a musicians mojo in the instrument they play or the way a singer can express and deliver a lyric, especially their own penned stuff.
Lyrics mean nothing, they have to be delivered! For my mind give me Wakeman`s 70s solo stuff over any of his Yes work, drummers I haven`t even bothered to check the list.
Why it`s basically a real mish mash of the times and they are never accurate no matter what instrument they play, unless drwu123 can correct me! Favourite drummer...easy...Cozy Powell...a legend and the second heaviest drummer of all time just behind Bonzo.
His early work in the very early 70s and all his Rainbow work defined what he stood for, saw him live three times.
The hit single Dance With The Devil was a real groove, second drummer for me John Bonham then Keith Moon but there are better drummers in different fields.
Neil Peart of Rush is a modern day Buddy Rich, so many of them, PowerKnight wink



Cozy Powell...one of my favorite bands he was with.
cool

User IP Logged

PowerKnight
Metallic Silver Flying Saucers Exist...I Should Know I Once Experienced A Close Encounter Of The First Kind!
Gold Member
ImageImageImageImageImage


member is offline

Avatar

Silver Spaceships Of Sublime Beauty!


PM

Gender: Male
Posts: 1705
xx Re: What music are you listening to now?
« Reply #908 on: Mar 15th, 2012, 4:43pm »

Not that big on his Jeff Beck days, a little too jazz orientated for my likeing I prefer Cozy when he attained a heavier sound and faster paced drummimg.
He was easliy one of the fastest double bass drummers there was, but it was his sound which sounded like a juggernaut. Live he was very heavy, his Rainbow days were awesome, Rising has to be the peak of his career, a legend, PowerKnight wink
User IP Logged

PowerKnight`s Perchance To Dream...

Joust With Thee
For I The PowerKnight Hath Taken
Escaped From The Castle
A Damsel Distressed Unto Thee
The PowerKnight Legacy

...Composed From The Poetic Pen Of PowerKnight.
MOKSHA
Gold Member
ImageImageImageImageImage


member is offline

Avatar

SOUL=402 KOPAVI=444 METATRON=636


PM

Gender: Male
Posts: 4414
xx Re: What music are you listening to now?
« Reply #909 on: Mar 15th, 2012, 5:16pm »

The mid 70's and some of the music, inspired me to learn lead,
what a great time, to be.
MKW



http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ve3SIUujIIU
User IP Logged

We are not to worry about a grain of sand in our friends eye, when we may have a two by four sticking out of our own
MOKSHA
Gold Member
ImageImageImageImageImage


member is offline

Avatar

SOUL=402 KOPAVI=444 METATRON=636


PM

Gender: Male
Posts: 4414
xx Re: What music are you listening to now?
« Reply #910 on: Mar 15th, 2012, 5:23pm »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t_NBkc_8ABg&feature=related
User IP Logged

We are not to worry about a grain of sand in our friends eye, when we may have a two by four sticking out of our own
icepick
Gold Member
ImageImageImageImageImage


member is offline

Avatar




PM

Gender: Male
Posts: 5931
xx Re: What music are you listening to now?
« Reply #911 on: Mar 16th, 2012, 02:13am »

on Mar 14th, 2012, 4:20pm, drwu23 wrote:
I like Kansas but...always liked Yes better and to me Walsh is good but Wakeman is simply better. His work on Fragile and Close To The Edge has both soul and melody and technical genius.

.btw my favorite Kansas piece is Song For America...imho their most epic piece.
I think Walsh does some of his best work on this one.



If you must stick by the solos, that would be true. It all boils down to taste. In my book, Wakeman's background work boils down to that clinical sound. He obviously did not like that role.

I imagine, considering your fondness of the solo work, you must see Journey to the Center of the Earth as a premiere piece for Wakeman?
User IP Logged

drwu23
Gold Member
ImageImageImageImageImage


member is offline

Avatar




PM

Gender: Male
Posts: 6592
xx Re: What music are you listening to now?
« Reply #912 on: Mar 16th, 2012, 10:43am »

on Mar 16th, 2012, 02:13am, icepick wrote:
If you must stick by the solos, that would be true. It all boils down to taste. In my book, Wakeman's background work boils down to that clinical sound. He obviously did not like that role.

I imagine, considering your fondness of the solo work, you must see Journey to the Center of the Earth as a premiere piece for Wakeman?


Oh no..you misunderstand .....I like Wakeman's work with Yes over his solo lp's. His keyboard work is great on his solo lp's but the songs aren't as interesting to me. I would take any of the classic Kansas lp's over Wakeman's solo ones.
User IP Logged

icepick
Gold Member
ImageImageImageImageImage


member is offline

Avatar




PM

Gender: Male
Posts: 5931
xx Re: What music are you listening to now?
« Reply #913 on: Mar 16th, 2012, 6:43pm »

I see. Well, technically, the music of early Yes is superior in that sense, but a tad to rigid for me. It's almost as technically Classical as that Concerto for Guitar and Violin was for Purple. I'm kind of funny in this respect. I like my Classical Music Classical if you know what I mean.

In case you don't, might I point out that Rock and Roll isn't a true musical genre? Only a four on floor type of beat which allows more notes to be crammed in a given hole. It has been applied to every form of music with success, but does not always sit well with the Classical styles in my opinion. There are exceptions ............ like early Genesis or Queen, but I see those as rarities. Something like the Mahavishnu Orchestra stuff was. When the heavier music bands pulled it off, they played more towards Rock and creativity, which made that music great. But when leaning to the classic side, it's not the same in my eyes.
User IP Logged

PowerKnight
Metallic Silver Flying Saucers Exist...I Should Know I Once Experienced A Close Encounter Of The First Kind!
Gold Member
ImageImageImageImageImage


member is offline

Avatar

Silver Spaceships Of Sublime Beauty!


PM

Gender: Male
Posts: 1705
xx Re: What music are you listening to now?
« Reply #914 on: Mar 17th, 2012, 10:16am »

Leonard Cohen...Greatest Hits comp...stunning heavy deep saturated melancholia...this stuff gives me a real buzz! Long live the depressives in society!!! PowerKnight wink
User IP Logged

PowerKnight`s Perchance To Dream...

Joust With Thee
For I The PowerKnight Hath Taken
Escaped From The Castle
A Damsel Distressed Unto Thee
The PowerKnight Legacy

...Composed From The Poetic Pen Of PowerKnight.
Pages: 1 ... 59 60 61 62 63  ...  286 Notify Send Topic Print
« Previous Topic | Next Topic »

Become a member of the UFO Casebook Forum today and join our more than 19,000 members.

Visit the UFO Casebook Web Site

Donate $6.99 for 50,000 Ad-Free Pageviews!

| |

This forum powered for FREE by Conforums ©
Sign up for your own Free Message Board today!
Terms of Service | Privacy Policy | Conforums Support | Parental Controls