Board Logo
« Ufology Not For Dummies; Massive PHD Data Base »

Welcome Guest. Please Login or Register.
Oct 24th, 2017, 02:42am


Visit the UFO Casebook Web Site

*Totally FREE 24/7 Access *Your Nickname and Avatar *Private Messages

*Join today and be a part of one of the largest UFO sites on the Net.


« Previous Topic | Next Topic »
Pages: 1 2  Notify Send Topic Print
 hotthread  Author  Topic: Ufology Not For Dummies; Massive PHD Data Base  (Read 3104 times)
Sysconfig
Guest
xx Ufology Not For Dummies; Massive PHD Data Base
« Thread started on: Jun 4th, 2014, 10:17pm »

These are links to bothe IsaacKois growing Collection of thesis on Ufology including abductions ...Very Impressive. Isaac jas been doing this for some time updating tons of outdated ufo material tips searching ..to much to list..these are real phd works not papermill degrees..I was a amazed.
These are hard to get and hard to complete..
any anway ..its not all dvds n books...there is serious study of this phenomenon..you must visit to appreciate..
keep eyes wide open


http://www.abovetopsecret.com/forum/thread1014708/pg1
PARTIAL DATABASE UF PHDS IN UFOLOGY
https://app.box.com/s/ytw27hh43w2e77vxtac5

http://www.isaackoi.com/starter-pack.html



« Last Edit: Jun 4th, 2014, 10:18pm by Sysconfig » User IP Logged

jjflash
Gold Member
ImageImageImageImageImage


member is offline

Avatar




Homepage PM


Posts: 1476
xx Re: Ufology Not For Dummies; Massive PHD Data Base
« Reply #1 on: Jun 4th, 2014, 11:23pm »

Thanks, Sys, for bringing this up. It should receive more attention. A lot of time and effort gets invested in complaining that scientists and professional researchers won't touch ufology - and it's not true. While a reasonable argument can be made that a scientist enjoying a successful career might be wise to avoid fringe topics, it is by no means true that qualified professionals entirely avert from the genre.

Google Kary Mullis, a Pulitzer Prize winning chemist - who explained that he was approached one night by what he described as a glowing raccoon who said, "Evening, Doctor," and the next thing he knew he was walking down a road several hours later. He reports similar experiences of high strangeness happening to his daughter and neighbors.

John Mack, Garry Nolan, Jacques Vallee. Scott Lilienfeld, Elizabeth Loftus, Susan Blackmore. Ted Goertzel, Stephanie Kelly-Romano, George Hansen. The list goes on and on of professionals who have scrutinized memory functions, hypnosis, anomalous experiences, UFOs and alleged alien abductions. Believers, critics and all points in between.

More funding and resources would indeed be helpful. However, there is no excuse for members of the UFO community - and in some cases its high profile researchers - claiming the subject matter is entirely shunned by the professional research community. It simply is not true:

Theses and Dissertations on UFO-Related Topics UFO Religions
« Last Edit: Jun 5th, 2014, 12:41am by jjflash » User IP Logged

The UFO Trail
hyundisonata
Junior Member
ImageImage


member is offline

Avatar




PM


Posts: 48
xx Re: Ufology Not For Dummies; Massive PHD Data Base
« Reply #2 on: Jun 10th, 2014, 2:31pm »

I have still to read SYS link JJ, trouble is people like myself do not normally find good data bases until they are put up here so we get the impression no one in the scientific community is investigating UFO, like myself people normally are looking just for stuff relating to their incident and haven’t spent years on the UFO subject as until they had an experience it was not part of their lives.
User IP Logged

Sysconfig
Guest
xx Re: Ufology Not For Dummies; Massive PHD Data Base
« Reply #3 on: Jun 11th, 2014, 01:55am »

on Jun 10th, 2014, 2:31pm, hyundisonata wrote:
I have still to read SYS link JJ, trouble is people like myself do not normally find good data bases until they are put up here so we get the impression no one in the scientific community is investigating UFO, like myself people normally are looking just for stuff relating to their incident and haven’t spent years on the UFO subject as until they had an experience it was not part of their lives.


I ran across something while reading on that satelite in orbit for since before there were satellites

following the usual banter of skeptics and believers both employing the usual trade crafts found in debating forums....that almost without exception lead nowhere.

we for the most part like to go somewhere and then suddenly.... we are cast instead..to elsewhere. what do we do when we are thrust into elsewhere and return to explain to those who have not been anywhere?...who took you.they ask,,was it day or night...on meds? .I dont know.you say..then the sincere concern turns to...if you cant prove anyone or anything.....then it was no one. if no one took you then nothing happened..if nothing happened then you went nowhere..case closed..there is nothing for elsewhere which could be anywhere and everywhere with all its implied possibilities those bound by the nowhere cannot see.and to which .they are rule bound R iding the one trick pony..it will go somewhere ,,and perform perfectly every time..but no one rode it elsewhere because that is how they taught it..yet we know..that a pony can do more than one trick ..at least ponies elsewhere.

agreat author spent the last years of his life contemplating a far less serious event than yours..but I think you both have been given a gift of sorts..



When I suddenly stopped believing in the Lie I did not begin to think differently -I saw differently, as if something was gone from the world or gone from between me and the world which had always been there. Like a scrambling device that had been removed: deliberate scrambling. All, suddenly, was clear language. God seemed to seek me out and expressed things through things and what took place. Everywhere I saw signs along a path, marking His presence. […] A week after I realized that with no possibility of evading it everything altered radically for me, and the world began to talk, in a true language of signs: silently.”

Phillip K Dick


nitez my friend

.





« Last Edit: Jun 11th, 2014, 01:57am by Sysconfig » User IP Logged

ZETAR
Mod Director
Global Moderator
ImageImageImageImageImage


member is offline

Avatar

GREAT SPIRITS ALWAYS ENCOUNTER THE MOST VIOLENT OPPOSITION FROM MEDIOCRE MINDS E=MC2


PM

Gender: Male
Posts: 8291
xx Re: Ufology Not For Dummies; Massive PHD Data Base
« Reply #4 on: Jun 11th, 2014, 2:33pm »

SYS,

YA FOUND THAT TRICK PONY ~ cool

User Image

SHALOM...Z
User IP Logged

GREAT SPIRITS ALWAYS ENCOUNTER THE MOST VIOLENT OPPOSITION FROM MEDIOCRE MINDS E=MC2
jjflash
Gold Member
ImageImageImageImageImage


member is offline

Avatar




Homepage PM


Posts: 1476
xx Re: Ufology Not For Dummies; Massive PHD Data Base
« Reply #5 on: Aug 20th, 2014, 12:26pm »

The Paranormal is (Still) Normal: The Sociological Implications of a Survey of Paranormal Experiences in Great Britain

by Madeleine Castro, Roger Burrows and Robin Wooffitt
Leeds Metropolitan University; Goldsmiths; University of York

Received: 16 Aug 2013 | Accepted: 24 Mar 2014 | Published: 15 Aug 2014

Abstract

Historically, there has been limited sociological interest in the paranormal and no systematic study of reported paranormal experiences. There are also few medium-to-large-scale survey results with nationally representative populations focusing on paranormal experiences. This paper provides details of an exploratory survey conducted in 2009 with a nationally representative sample of 4,096 adults aged 16 years and over across Great Britain[1]. Our findings show that 37% of British adults report at least one paranormal experience and that women, those who are middle-aged or individuals resident in the South West are more likely to report such experiences. These results establish incidence levels of reported paranormal experiences in contemporary Britain. We argue also that they merit a more sustained sociological consideration of the paranormal. In this respect we renew and update the robust justification and call for serious research positioning the paranormal as a social phenomenon, originally proposed well over thirty years ago by Greeley (1975).

Full paper:

http://www.socresonline.org.uk/19/3/16.html
User IP Logged

The UFO Trail
jjflash
Gold Member
ImageImageImageImageImage


member is offline

Avatar




Homepage PM


Posts: 1476
xx Re: Ufology Not For Dummies; Massive PHD Data Base
« Reply #6 on: Aug 27th, 2014, 12:22am »

Writer/researcher George P. Hansen recently launched a webpage at academia.edu:

https://independent.academia.edu/HansenGeorgeP

Hansen initially made four of his papers available for reading and downloading:

Rationalization, Secularization, and the Paranormal: On the “Elimination” of Magic From the World (2010)

Panel—Ghosts: Mind and/or Matter (The Problem of Classification) (2011)

Liminality, Marginality, Anti-structure, and Parapsychology (2011)

Status Relations and the Paranormal (2012)

Hansen is the author of the 2001 book, 'The Trickster and the Paranormal'. More about the book and Hansen's work can be learned at his website, tricksterbook.com, which includes the following brief bio:

"George P. Hansen was professionally employed in parapsychology laboratories for eight years—three at the Rhine Research Center in Durham, North Carolina, and five at Psychophysical Research Laboratories in Princeton, New Jersey. His experiments included remote viewing, card guessing, ganzfeld, electronic random number generators, séance phenomena, and ghosts. He has been active in a number of psychic, UFO, and New Age organizations, and he helped found a skeptics group.

"His papers in scientific journals cover mathematical statistics, fraud and deception, the skeptics movement, conjurors in parapsychology, and exposés of hoaxes. He is a member of the International Brotherhood of Magicians."
User IP Logged

The UFO Trail
drwu23
Gold Member
ImageImageImageImageImage


member is offline

Avatar




PM

Gender: Male
Posts: 6592
xx Re: Ufology Not For Dummies; Massive PHD Data Base
« Reply #7 on: Aug 27th, 2014, 10:19am »

Thanks for the links to the Hansen articles.....I think his book The Trickster should be required reading for anyone who wants to understand the deeper workings of the paranormal and the ufo enigma and how it relates to sociological and psychological areas.
User IP Logged

jjflash
Gold Member
ImageImageImageImageImage


member is offline

Avatar




Homepage PM


Posts: 1476
xx Re: Ufology Not For Dummies; Massive PHD Data Base
« Reply #8 on: Aug 27th, 2014, 2:20pm »

on Aug 27th, 2014, 10:19am, drwu23 wrote:
Thanks for the links to the Hansen articles.....I think his book The Trickster should be required reading for anyone who wants to understand the deeper workings of the paranormal and the ufo enigma and how it relates to sociological and psychological areas.


I just ordered 'The Paranormal Trickster' from Barnes and Noble a few days ago. I read it before but want to read it again for a few reasons. I certainly agree that Hansen is much more of the solution than the problem. I would like to see more papers and work like his in the UFO community.
User IP Logged

The UFO Trail
Sysconfig
Guest
xx Re: Ufology Not For Dummies; Massive PHD Data Base
« Reply #9 on: Sep 1st, 2014, 1:31pm »

Thanx JJ
Everybody Loves Magik!!

User Image
We've never met before have we?
« Last Edit: Sep 1st, 2014, 3:25pm by Sysconfig » User IP Logged

jjflash
Gold Member
ImageImageImageImageImage


member is offline

Avatar




Homepage PM


Posts: 1476
xx Re: Ufology Not For Dummies; Massive PHD Data Base
« Reply #10 on: Oct 17th, 2014, 12:22pm »

The Society for Scientific Exploration contains a large number of qualified reviews of books and papers, many of them related to paranormal subject matter. Reviews of the work of such familiar names as Vallee, Blackmore, Laibow, Friedman and many more may be found at:

http://www.scientificexploration.org/journal/reviews/
User IP Logged

The UFO Trail
jjflash
Gold Member
ImageImageImageImageImage


member is offline

Avatar




Homepage PM


Posts: 1476
xx Re: Ufology Not For Dummies; Massive PHD Data Base
« Reply #11 on: Oct 7th, 2015, 8:02pm »

UFO Phenomenon and Psychopathology : A Case Study

By Jean-Michel Abrassart

The UFO Chronicles

October 7, 2015

Jean-Michel Abrassart is a Ph.D. candidate in psychology at the Catholic University of Louvain. This paper is covering his lecture at the 58th Annual Convention of the Parapsychological Association (London, 2015).

Abstract

The Psychosocial Model explains the UFO phenomenon with the following mechanisms: simple mistakes, elaborate mistakes, hallucinations, false memories and hoaxes. This article will specifically focus on the topic of hallucinations in relation to UFO sightings. If illusions are perceptive distorsions of an objective stimulus, hallucinations are by definition perceptions without any stimulus. Those cases are probably rare, but they do exist. Research in psychology has shown that the prevalence of psychopathologies is not bigger amongst UFO witness than the general population. Nevertheless, we also know today that people can have hallucinations, including visual hallucinations, without suffering from a psychopathology. We’ll present a case study after a brief review of the literature.

The Psychosocial Model

The UFO phenomena is like a haystack: proponents of the extraterrestrial hypothesis are looking for a needle in the haystack. Even if at some point it was proven that there is after all something truly anomalous inside the haystack (for example extraterrestrial spaceships or a so far unknown kind of thunder), that anomaly would explain a very small percentage of all cases. For that simple reason, this alleged anomaly would not really explain the haystack. In the Psychosocial Model, we are interested in the haystack, not so much by the alleged anomaly inside it.

The Psychosocial Model explains the UFO phenomena with the following mechanisms: simple mistakes, elaborate mistakes, hallucinations, false memories and hoaxes. Most UFO sightings are simple mistakes with mundane stimuli (for example the moon, helicopters, skytracers, sky lanterns and so on). They are the core of the phenomena. In those cases, witnesses can describe reliably what they saw: they only fail to identify what the mundane stimulus they saw was. Elaborate mistakes include subjective distortion of what was seen. The witness don’t describe what they saw reliably. Based on available cultural narratives, those distorsions can happen during the sighting itself (illusion), when the memory is remembered (confabulation) or during discussions with other people (suggestibility). If illusions are perceptive distortion of an objective stimulus, hallucinations are by definition perceptions without any stimulus. Those cases are probably rare, but they do exist. Research in psychology have shown that the prevalence of psychopathologies is not bigger amongst UFO witness than the general population (Spanos & co., 1993). Nevertheless, we also know today that people can have hallucinations, including visual hallucinations, without suffering from a psychopathology. False memories are memories of events that never occurred. It is an extreme form of memory distortion. Finally, hoaxes are false testimonies.

Read the entire paper at:

http://www.theufochronicles.com/2015/10/ufo-phenomenon-and-psychopathology-case.html
User IP Logged

The UFO Trail
jm57
Senior Member
ImageImageImageImage


member is offline

Avatar




PM

Gender: Male
Posts: 765
xx Re: Ufology Not For Dummies; Massive PHD Data Base
« Reply #12 on: Oct 7th, 2015, 9:28pm »

I wish hyundisonata a rapid and easy rush into wherever he's gone,
Miss his interjections.
User IP Logged

Sys_Config
Gold Member
ImageImageImageImageImage


member is offline

Avatar

Amigos


PM

Gender: Male
Posts: 5185
xx Re: Ufology Not For Dummies; Massive PHD Data Base
« Reply #13 on: Oct 7th, 2015, 10:27pm »

Ditto sad
User IP Logged

Breaking the Matrix ..More than UFO related..Its Life Related
http://ufotrail.blogspot.com/
drwu23
Gold Member
ImageImageImageImageImage


member is offline

Avatar




PM

Gender: Male
Posts: 6592
xx Re: Ufology Not For Dummies; Massive PHD Data Base
« Reply #14 on: Oct 8th, 2015, 09:25am »

on Oct 7th, 2015, 8:02pm, jjflash wrote:
UFO Phenomenon and Psychopathology : A Case Study

By Jean-Michel Abrassart

The UFO Chronicles

October 7, 2015

Jean-Michel Abrassart is a Ph.D. candidate in psychology at the Catholic University of Louvain. This paper is covering his lecture at the 58th Annual Convention of the Parapsychological Association (London, 2015).

Abstract

The Psychosocial Model explains the UFO phenomenon with the following mechanisms: simple mistakes, elaborate mistakes, hallucinations, false memories and hoaxes. This article will specifically focus on the topic of hallucinations in relation to UFO sightings. If illusions are perceptive distorsions of an objective stimulus, hallucinations are by definition perceptions without any stimulus. Those cases are probably rare, but they do exist. Research in psychology has shown that the prevalence of psychopathologies is not bigger amongst UFO witness than the general population. Nevertheless, we also know today that people can have hallucinations, including visual hallucinations, without suffering from a psychopathology. We’ll present a case study after a brief review of the literature.

The Psychosocial Model

The UFO phenomena is like a haystack: proponents of the extraterrestrial hypothesis are looking for a needle in the haystack. Even if at some point it was proven that there is after all something truly anomalous inside the haystack (for example extraterrestrial spaceships or a so far unknown kind of thunder), that anomaly would explain a very small percentage of all cases. For that simple reason, this alleged anomaly would not really explain the haystack. In the Psychosocial Model, we are interested in the haystack, not so much by the alleged anomaly inside it.

The Psychosocial Model explains the UFO phenomena with the following mechanisms: simple mistakes, elaborate mistakes, hallucinations, false memories and hoaxes. Most UFO sightings are simple mistakes with mundane stimuli (for example the moon, helicopters, skytracers, sky lanterns and so on). They are the core of the phenomena. In those cases, witnesses can describe reliably what they saw: they only fail to identify what the mundane stimulus they saw was. Elaborate mistakes include subjective distortion of what was seen. The witness don’t describe what they saw reliably. Based on available cultural narratives, those distorsions can happen during the sighting itself (illusion), when the memory is remembered (confabulation) or during discussions with other people (suggestibility). If illusions are perceptive distortion of an objective stimulus, hallucinations are by definition perceptions without any stimulus. Those cases are probably rare, but they do exist. Research in psychology have shown that the prevalence of psychopathologies is not bigger amongst UFO witness than the general population (Spanos & co., 1993). Nevertheless, we also know today that people can have hallucinations, including visual hallucinations, without suffering from a psychopathology. False memories are memories of events that never occurred. It is an extreme form of memory distortion. Finally, hoaxes are false testimonies.

Read the entire paper at:

http://www.theufochronicles.com/2015/10/ufo-phenomenon-and-psychopathology-case.html


Thanks once again for a rational look into some of the aspects of the ufo enigma as they relate to the psychosocial model.
Did you ever reread Hansen's book and did you come away with any new insights...?
cool
User IP Logged

Pages: 1 2  Notify Send Topic Print
« Previous Topic | Next Topic »

Become a member of the UFO Casebook Forum today and join our more than 19,000 members.

Visit the UFO Casebook Web Site

Donate $6.99 for 50,000 Ad-Free Pageviews!

| |

This forum powered for FREE by Conforums ©
Sign up for your own Free Message Board today!
Terms of Service | Privacy Policy | Conforums Support | Parental Controls